Thursday, May 6, 2010

I AM A SUPERWOMAN


Finally, I can break my silence, dust my pretty self off, come up from prayer position and tell the world how my dreams are starting to unfold before my eyes and announce my blessing to the world...

Two weeks ago I received a phone call, which I missed from a Consultant from Monster.com announcing on my voicemail that he needed to speak to me ASAP. So, I immediately returned the unknown man's call, but there was no answer because it was after 5:30pm on a Friday. Dang! Then, it finally clicked in my mind, woman, its Friday, which means the man left the office. Don't give up! Maybe he checks his work emails from home during the weekends. Nah, but hey it won't kill me to try. So, I flooded his inbox with a few subtle, but forward messages letting him know that I received his call and I asked if he would return my call at his earliest convenience. Alright, i'm not gonna lie I even called homie's office on a Sunday before and after church. I know, I know I pushed it, but thats how excited I was. So, to kill time I prayed, yapped my friends ears off for the next 24hrs and finally reached the guy from Monster.com first thing Monday morning.

John was a friendly man who I tried to keep on the phone for a while because I wanted him to see how enthusiastic I was about being 1 out 8 applicants chosen out of a pool of 5,000 to become a candidate for the Head Blogger position for one of my Sheroe's Alicia Keys site www.iaas.com I AM A Superwoman, (Ughhh Hmm which I AM).

Well, if you know me personally, read any of my articles, recognize my name from email media blasts then you know that I am a Writer first, Educator, Woman's & Youth Advocate, and lover of timeless music. I live and breathe journalism, my fingers touching my Macbook keys is the ultimate high for me. I have been writing for as long as I can remember and have been working with young women in my community since I was 13 years old.

I graduated from Howard University---The Real HU almost 3 years ago, tear. BISON!!!! And, ever since I moved back home to Boston from the steep HU Hills I have been grinding and chasing after my dream to become a successful Journalist. My journey has been a turmultous one filled with a near death experience, losts, sleepless nights, 8 hour bus rides 2x a week from Boston to NYC to work at a mag, tears, rejections, successes, but in the words of another Sheroe of mines Still I Rise. I rise to beat the odds of being a statistic. I rise to beat the odds of never giving up even when you hear so many No's and experience so many Setbacks. I have genuinely applauded other peoples successes even when I felt it was my time. I never hated, I just congratulated because I was once told when your neighbor is being blessed that means blessings are in your neighborhood.

All of the doors being slammed in my face only left me with four options Seek God's Face, Have Faith, Grind, and Start Building Doors for myself to walk through. So, I write until my fingers are sore, teach youth within my community until my mouth is dry, and continue to walk on a journey that I call the grind.

Thats who Nakia Hill is in a nutshell. I hate to say that because what I just described is not one tenth of my journey. One thing is for sure I AM A SUPERWOMAN. I AM A SUPERWOMAN because I AM STILL HERE. I am here to share my story with so many SUPERWOMAN from Japan to Kentucky. If you have overcome adversity, chasing after your dreams despite setbacks, and have managed to keep your head above water in the midst of the storm then you are a SUPERWOMAN.

I need everyone's support, votes, and prayers. Once I AM A SUPERWOMAN www.iaas.com announces the 60 applicants on their site I need you to vote for me NAKIA HILL. Come visit my page via If you want to help turn my dream into a reality Please Vote for Nakia Hill to be Alicia Keys Head Blogger. Log onto www.iaas.com .


VOTE FOR ME @ www.iaas.com

When you vote please leave comments on my blog entries and I will make sure to send you lots of LOVE! Trust me, I will cover the most impact filled, intriguing stories that will shed light on issues affecting all SuperWomen and their communities.

Besos,

Nakia

No comments: