Monday, June 21, 2010

Drake "Thank Me Later" Album Review

"All and all I learned a lesson from it though. You never see it coming you just get to see it go..." -Drake


The anticipation for Drake's album "Thank Me Later" sort of died down after his debut CD "So Far Gone" wasn't what the fans expected. True music fiends know that an artists mix tape is usually better than their album, which is filled with heavy, watered down commercial tracks.

Drake proves on this second album that he can bring the mix tape sound to the retail shelves & sell. "Thank Me Later" is like listening to the audio version of Drake's diary (rhyme book).

The first track sets a melancholy tone of the album taking its listeners on his emotional journey of how fame has changed his lifestyle, family ties, and love life. Love, Success, Regret & Dysfunction, & Trust seem to be the reoccurring themes on this album. Drake airs out a lot of deep feelings that he probably kept bottled up regarding his relationship with his Father, "My dad called me up knowing that I still listen and he still got his foot out, guilt tripping,"Grandmother ", "I heard they just moved my grandmother to a nursing home and I be acting like I don't know how to use a phone," Women "I'm always up to late I worry bout you there alone in that place you call your home, warm nights and cold patron. I hope you don't get known for nothing crazy cuz no man wants to hear those stories about his lady," Groupies "She just trying to make it, so she right here getting naked. I don't judge her, I don't judge her, but I could never love cuz to her i'm just a rapper, and soon should have met another."

"Thank Me Later's" solemn tone definitely eases up on tracks "Show Me a Good Time" where Drake loosens up the buttons on his button up and gets his listeners ready to experience nightlife at its finest. The album mood shifts into serious party mode with "Fancy", which is definitely going to be the ladies summertime anthem because its all about the state of being fly.

Shut it down is probably the track that Drake wrote solely for me. Oh yeah, I'll fathom that all 6:59 secs was packaged just for moi.

Drake knew to get the sickest producers including Timbaland, Crada, Noah "40" Shebib, Francis and the Lights, Jeff Bhasker, Al Khaaliq, Kanye West, No I.D., Omen, Swizz Beatz, Boi-1da, and Tone Mason to grace this album to capture the right sound. I think Drake and the team succeeded!

Although, I have so much love for my Drakey Poo I do believe the way he spits and busts out in song is borderline annoying, but somehow remains infectious. Drake's random storytelling and subtle corny punchlines like, "baby you finer than your fine cousin." Okay, Drake why did you have to go there? And, for what? We get the point she fuuiiiiiinnneeeee!!!!! But it works and all is fair in love and hip-hop...


Thank Me Later

B+

1. Fireworks Featuring Alicia Keys

2. Karaoke

3. The Resistance

4. Over

5. Show Me a Good Time

6. Up All Night Featuring Nicki Minaj

7. Fancy Featuring T.I., & Swizz Beatz

8. Shut it Down Featuring The-Dream

9. Unforgettable Featuring Young Jeezy

10. Light Up Featuring Jay-Z

11. Miss Me Featuring Lil Wayne

12. Cece's Interlude

13. Find You Love

14. Thank Me Now

Latest New York Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/13/arts/music/13drake.html

No comments: